What I have Learned This Term

Coming into this term, i didn’t know what to expect. In high school, I was not exposed to history very much. As soon as I met Tracy, I knew this term and course wouldn’t be a sleeper. Tracy made the course intriguing and made me want to learn more about the history of Canada.

Throughout this term i have learned many things; from the first European contact and how the First Nations communities were impacted by that, the fur trade, the establishment of New France, and much more. I was aware of the tragedies of First Nations and the depletion of their population due to European contact. However, i wasn’t aware of the Filles du Roi’s of New France. I have been taught of the struggles that First Nations faced, but i was not aware that the Europeans had struggled very much also. It was very interesting to see where exactly Europeans first settled, and how the early stages of their colony wasn’t ideal. Also, it was interesting to note that the Europeans hadn’t settled immediately, that they discovered the land and later returned to settle. I find myself more inclined to learn about how Canada was established. It was also interesting to see how the gold rush had journeyed through Canada, more specifically British Columbia.

I also have a new perspective of the Canadian flag. I play on the University basketball team and when we stand in line before games facing the Canadian flag prior to the game, I feel a great sense of pride. Now that I am more educated on the history of Canada and its origin, I have since felt very proud to be Canadian. I think that sort of influence on a student is something to be proud of. For myself, I didn’t expect this course to impact me in such a positive way!